Sunday, January 10, 2010

Magers and Quinn

We interrupt our regularly scheduled blog to throw in a little plug.

On a recent business trip to Minneapolis, I had a little downtime between meetings so I decided to visit a used book store I had seen online. For most of my books that I have read (or will read) with this project, I have purchased them in a used book store. If you think about the costs if I bought every book new at a bookstore, this could be a costly project. I could get these in a library, but I do like to have these books for my collection later. I do not own a Kindle or Nook so buying digital versions is not an option. Besides, there is something about holding a book in your hands that I love...I know, I am old-school.

Anyway, we have a few used books stores in the Chicagoland area that are decent and I have gotten quite a few books there. What is infuriating at these stores is that it is very difficult to actually find books there. While the books are usually put in general categories, they may not be in order by author or you may be at the mercy of the staff and how they interpret where it should be filed. Many hours have been spent looking through stacks upon stacks of books that come up with no decent finds.

Completely different at the bookstore Magers and Quinn in Minneapolis. It is a large store that is very well organized and laid out. Unlike the stores around me, they keep a computer inventory of what is actually in the store. Their staff is very friendly and were there to answer my questions. I ended up picking up seven books that were priced slightly higher than the unorganized stores around here. But, to be honest, I would pay the extra money for the time that it saves me. Yes, I know there are the people who like to while the day browsing the shelves. I like doing that too, but there are days that I don't have that time.

If you are ever in Minneapolis, I highly recommend you visit them. Hey, it won't get you anything as far as a discount, but tell them you heard about them from me. Maybe I can get a discount instead.



Magers & Quinn Bookstore
3038 Hennepin Ave. South
Minneapolis, MN 55408
http://www.magersandquinn.com/index.php?main_page=index

I will admit that I am very slow to write up my posts right now. I have 3 books finished (Botany of Desire, Age of Wonders, and Elegance of the Hedgehog) and I am almost finished with another, Among the Thugs. I need to catch up! I may start up a longer book so I don't get further behind.

No comments:

Post a Comment