Sunday, July 12, 2009

The List

Almost done with The Bear...very good, Chapter 4 was a little hard to follow, but good. More to come on that later. I thought before I go too much further, I would list the Top 50:


Book Title Author In Posession?
1 The Way We Live Now Trollope, Anthony x
2 The Looming Tower Wright, Lawrence
3 Prisoners of the State Ziyang, Zhao
4 The Big Switch Carr, Nicholas
5 The Bear Faulkner, William x
6 Winchell Gabler, Neal
7 Random Family LeBlanc, Adrian Nicole
8 Night Draws Near Shadid, Anthony
9 Predictably Irrational Ariely, Dan
10 God: The Biography Miles, Jack x
11 The Unsettling of America Berry, Wendell
12 A Good Man is Hard to Find O'Connor, Flannery
13 Underground Murakami, Haruki
14 Disrupting Class Christensen, Clayton
15 Air Guitar Hickley, Dave
16 Leaves of Grass Whitman, Walt x
17 The Trouble with Physics Smolin, Lee
18 City: Rediscovering The Center Whyte, William
19 Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep? Dick, Phillip
20 Benjamin Franklin Morgan, Edmund x
21 The Mississippi Books Twain, Mark
22 Among the Thugs Buford, Bill
23 Brooklyn Toibin, Colm
24 Frankenstein Shelley, Mary x
25 Bad Mother Waldman, Ayelet
26 Guests of the Ayatollah Bowden, Mark
27 Whittaker Chambers Tanenhaus, Sam
28 Midnight's Children Rushdie, Salaman
29 American Prometheus Bird, Kai and Sherwin, Martin
30 The Lost Medelsohn, Daniel
31 Gilead Robinson, Marilynne x
32 Pictures at a Revolution Harris, Mark
33 Kim Kipling, Rudyard x
34 Walking with the Wind Lewis, John
35 The Line of Beauty Hollinghurst, Alan x
36 The Dark is Rising Cooper, Susan
37 Persepolis Satrapi, Marjane x
38 Underworld DeLillo, Don
39 Why Evolution is True Coyne, Jerry
40 American Pastoral Roth, Phillip x
41 The Botany of Desire Pollan, Michael
42 The Regeneraton Trilogy Barker, Pat
43 Senator Joe McCarthy Rovere, Richard
44 Year of Wonders Brooks, Geraldine x
45 The Elegance of the Hedgehog Barberry, Muriel
46 Gone Tomorrow Child, Lee
47 Things Fall Apart Achebe, Chinua
48 American Journeys Watson, Don
49 Cotton Comes to Harlem Himes, Chester
50 The New Biographical Dictionary of Film Thompson, David

16 pages to go on The Bear...

2 comments:

  1. Paul,
    Thanks for posting this list in a format I can easily copy into a word document. The way it posted in Newsweek, with commentary and graphics, would have been messy and cumbersome. Anyway, I have challenged myself to read all 50 of these books as well (in whatever amount of time it takes)and having it in a word document will help me to keep track of my progress. Oddly enough, I majored in English in college and now teach English in a high school, yet I have previously read only a scant sampling of Newsweek's list. That fact intrigues me, and - I must admit - embarrasses me a little too.
    Anyway, happy reading and thanks again for taking the time to post the list and share your thoughts on the books.
    Lissa Hanson

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lissa, I am embarrassed to admit that I didn't see your comment until just now as I looking on a separate screen...I am still getting used to this Blogger interface.

    Glad to see others also taking up the challenge. Let me know your thoughts. Perhaps we can coordinate a couple books to read as a sort of virtual book-group. Since you are more qualified, you can be the resident expert to help with all that darn symbolism. ;-)

    ReplyDelete